Ready to spice up your regular chocolate cake with orange extract, orange zest and surprise cherry layer in middle? This cake is fudgy and delicious. Ready to try it? This cake is made with doctored cake mix.
Why I bake with Cake Mixes? Click here to read my post
- Recipe calls for three 6inch or two 8 inch cake layers.
- Make sure all your ingredients are room temperature.
- Do not overmix your cake batter.
- Cannot emphasize this enough! Use kitchen scale to measure your dry ingredients or spoon into the cup measure then level with a knife.
- Once your cake baked and cooled, wrap each layer in plastic wrap twice, then freeze for at least 3 hours. You want to frost this cake when it’s cold for better results.
- Level your cake layers once they’re fully cooled, to make it easier to assemble and frost your cake
- Make your cake layers in advance and freeze them: Such a timesaver!
- Make your frosting ahead of time too, or save any leftover frosting! It can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Re whip the frosting once it thaws to get the consistency nice and smooth again.
- A frosted cake can last in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to a month. The buttercream locks in all the moisture, keeping the cake fresh and delicious!
- Listen to your tastebuds: Taste your frosting as you make it! You are the cake artist here, and if you feel like it needs more sugar or vanilla just go for it. I tend to cut out sugar as much as I can in my cakes.
- My recipe calls for buttermilk. You do not have one on hand? Do not worry, you can actually make it on your own! Read my post below. https://sprinkleswithklaudia.com/2021/08/30/how-to-make-buttermilk/
* This post contains affiliate links. That means I receive a small commission to no cost to you from any purchases you make through these links *